Thursday, January 20, 2005

The Time has come

The time has come for my very old and very faithful van (1988 Plymoth Voyager) to be put to final rest. It happened this morning bright and early as I headed off for class in the 48 degree weather, warming up my van for a half hour to make sure that it woul be able to take me to class and back (which was maybe 12 miles away)
The van was doing fine until I was ready to get off on my exit from the expressway then it stalled out, would not change out gears and eventually came to a stop on the shoulder just before my exit. I took a few minutes to try and figure out what had happened and realized I was getting to be late for class (Physics) no way would I miss it theres too much riding on that class, so I locked up the van and started to walk, I made it to class 20 mins late and luckily did not miss much.
After class I went back to my vand to try to fix whatever was wrong, I fiddled around with the shift cable trying to tightent it supposing that that was the reason but I was as tight as it seemed it could be *have I lost a gear* I wondered. I stated up the van and prayed that it would drive, after waiting a while (for warm up) I was able to coast to a gas station + garage after numerous sucesses and failures of the van to change out. I was informed by a man at the garage that my 17 year old van would be needing a new transmission running from $800 - $1200, it was then that I decided it was time to put "Vanny" (as affectionately called by me and "Betsy" a name given by my mother) to rest.

Goodbye Vanny, you were a very faithful and immensly aiding companion
you will be missed *especially since I dont have my own means of transportation now*

No comments: